Infrastructure Business Case Writer – Major Projects
Join a high performing team to deliver major water infrastructure projects that will have a long lasting impact on the future of Sydney’s water supply.
- Deliver business cases for major civil infrastructure projects
- Enable Sydney Water’s Major Projects team to deliver forecast programs of work
- Proudly making a difference to establishing a best-in-class, customer centred, client organisation
At Sydney Water, we’re passionate about making a difference to the lives of our customers and communities.
We have a proud heritage and a progressive future, providing world class drinking water and beautiful waterways from the mountains to the sea. We see the world is changing so we are changing too. Our people and their jobs are as diverse as the communities we serve.
About the role
It’s an exciting time at Sydney Water as our Major Projects team expands to meet the needs of the organisation’s ever-expanding infrastructure delivery requirements, delivering large-scale, complex water and wastewater capital works projects across Greater Sydney over the next ten years. Projects range from $100m to >$1b in value
The Major Projects team is looking for someone who has demonstrated experience in writing business cases for large civil infrastructure programs of work to join the team and author business cases that will drive successful investment decisions and delivery.
The position will standardise the presentation of information to enable a consistent review across the Sydney Water Major Projects Infrastructure Investment Program and will be critical in enabling the Sydney Water Major Projects Team deliver its forecast program of work.
- Advise on requirements to demonstrate overall investment need.
- Demonstrate project compliance with Sydney Water Corporate Plan and NSW Government water strategies.
- Demonstrate overall economic and financial value of investments in business cases. Compare capital and ongoing costs with financial and non-financial benefits to develop a benefits-cost ratio, NPV etc.
- Document overall project scope, scale, investment quantum, cash flow forecasts, and schedules which form the basis of public commitments to key stakeholders
- Demonstrate value for money through assessment of reasonable options and different commercial modes.
You will have a background in preparing and writing robust, consistent, readable, and defendable infrastructure business cases which provide adequate evidence for Sydney Water and the NSW State Government to confidently make informed funding decisions based on the content of the business cases.
You have a working knowledge of financing of civil infrastructure, engineering and construction projects.
You are able to confidently engage with a variety of business units across the organisation, gathering all relevant documents and information required to write and present business cases with logical, coherent narratives that lead to favourable investment decisions into Sydney Water’s Major Projects portfolio. Your strong attention to detail and excellent written and verbal communications skills enable you to prepare and present high-quality business cases that can potentially be standardised for future use.
You may have previously worked in local, State, or Federal government, regulatory bodies, or consulting firms, and will be familiar with INSW/Treasury regulatory processes
You will have:
- Degree qualifications in Business, Economics, Finance, or Engineering, or experience deemed equivalent
- Minimum 5+ years’ previous experience in project development and 3 years’ business analyst and business case writing.
- Understanding of capital project development and reporting procedures and capital investment management
- Understanding of INSW/Treasury regulatory process
- Knowledge and understanding of government protocols for procurement and contract management
- Knowledge of Sydney Water’s business case processes would be considered favourable.
- Ability to lead quantitative and qualitative economic and policy analysis.
- Experience in presenting analysis and report writing to communicate complex issues to non-specialists.
Closing date: 28 May, 2022
Please see the position description for the role’s full accountabilities.
You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident at the time of submitting your application to be considered for this role. For more information, you can contact email@example.com
Sydney Water welcomes you to apply if you feel you meet the selection criteria. The successful completion of a Criminal History Check and Medical Assessment form part of the application process.
Please advise if you require any adjustments to actively participate in the application and recruitment process.
We want your perspective and ideas to help us find better ways to delight our customers, so we encourage you to apply no matter your age, sex or culture. You can be part of a committed, highly skilled team who’ll appreciate what you bring to the table. You’ll set and achieve real goals and make decisions that matter, as together we help shape the lifestyle of greater Sydney.