Manager Strategic Communications
- Competitive Salary Package
- Full-time permanent role
- Parramatta location – near train station
- Hybrid working available in line with our Flexible Working - Our Way approach
- Excellent benefits
About the Organisation
At Sydney Water we value our customers, our culture, and our performance. Our vision is to create a better life with world-class water services. We value and protect the environment of Greater Sydney and its surrounds and we are committed to the health and safety of our employees and our community.
Sydney Water supports a diverse and inclusive workforce and encourages people of all ages and backgrounds to apply.
Join a high-performing team to provide strategic communication advice to the business in the management and delivery of the Sydney Water Strategy 2030. You will be adept at identifying emerging issues, shaping enterprise narrative and enabling the business to leverage opportunities to protect and promote reputation and grow advocacy among our stakeholders.
You will have outstanding writing skills, extensive experience in a corporate environment and a highly collaborative approach to developing strategic plans that help communicate our vision and deliver thriving, liveable and sustainable communities through water.
Direct reports include:
- Senior Strategic Communication Advisor x 3
- Strategic Communications Advisor x 2
- Project-based resources as required
Accountabilities & Deliverables
- Manage the delivery of strategic communication plans that contribute and align to Sydney Water’s strategy and business plans.
- Manage a team of Communications Advisors and support them with the delivery of strategic communication plans for major projects, identifying opportunities and risks early, developing and implementing messaging, Q&As and engagement plans with appropriate measures of success.
- Develop a solid understanding of the business and build trusted relationships that support the delivery of highly effective strategic communication outcomes.
- Provide input into Sydney Water’s responses to major issues, working closely with the Head of Strategic Communication and Corporate Social Responsibility and the broader team in the provision of strategic communication advice to the leaders of the business.
- Provide advice to the Executive to plan and manage communications for strategic initiatives and programs.
- Develop and maintain key messaging for key projects, policies and initiatives, as well as at an enterprise level.
- Provide a holistic communications project management service to the business, working in partnership with other Customer, Strategy and Engagement business units to proactively manage reputational risks, keep key stakeholders updated and promote Sydney Water’s reputation.
- Ensure a collaborative approach to communications by developing avenues for dialogue, tapping into knowledge and intelligence and seeking views across Sydney Water and externally.
Knowledge/ Skills/ Experience
- Degree qualifications in communications, public policy, business or related field
- A minimum 10 years’ experience working as a senior communications manager in a major corporation, government department or agency environment
- Strong business acumen with the capacity to liaise and work with senior management and other Communications team members to determine positions on public policy issues, both proactive and reactive
- Outstanding leadership and people management skills to clearly and influentially articulate vision and build support
- Builds constructive and effective relationships to develop a deep understanding of business needs and objectives to tie communications work directly to desired business outcomes
- Identifies top drivers of corporate strategy and areas where communications can drive value
- Demonstrated ability in designing and implementing proactive communication plans and issues-based programs
- Creative thinker with demonstrated ability to develop strong and trusted relationships and influence key stakeholders (internal and external)
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills including strong corporate and policy communication skills
Please note that your application will be assessed against the job requirements of this position as listed in the attached position description. Please ensure that your cover letter and resume outline your ability to meet these job requirements. Your cover letter should also include:
1. An example (or examples) of strategic communications plans you have developed within a complex business and stakeholder environment.
2. Your perspective on the challenges and opportunities facing Sydney Water in the next five to ten years.
You must apply online to be considered for this role. Any applications emailed directly to the hiring manager will not be considered.
If this sounds like the role for you, please click on the “Apply” button below to submit your application.
Applications close: Sunday 24th October 2021
You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident at the time of submitting your application to be considered for this role. For more information, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Sydney Water welcomes you to apply if you feel you meet the selection criteria. The successful completion of a Criminal History Check and Medical Assessment, form part of the application process.
Please advise if you require any adjustments to actively participate in the application and recruitment process.