- Lead the development, maintenance and improvement of the Sydney Water Environmental Management System, ensuring Sydney Water meets customer expectations and complies with its regulatory obligations
- Ensure ISO 14001 compliance for Sydney Water’s Environmental Management System
- Parramatta location, close to transport, flexible work arrangements available
At Sydney Water, we’re passionate about making a difference to the lives of our customers and communities.
We have a proud heritage and a progressive future, providing world class drinking water and beautiful waterways from the mountains to the sea. We see the world is changing so we are changing too. Our people and their jobs are as diverse as the communities we serve.
About the role
This role will see you maintain and improve an enterprise-wide Environmental Management System (EMS) certified to the latest version of ISO 14001 to ensure Sydney Water meets customer expectations together with its statutory and regulatory obligations, and continually improves its environmental performance.
Your duties will involve:
- Collaborating with stakeholders to integrate all management systems (Asset, Quality, Safety and Environment and Product) to form an Integrated Management System for Sydney Water, known as 1MS;
- Participating as a lead technical expert in the integration of management systems and frameworks, particularly for ISO 14001;
- Provide specialist technical environmental management advice, training, and awareness across the organisation to enable compliance with, and certification to ISO14001 Standard;
- Lead any technical changes, updates, and improvements to the Environmental Management System;
- Ensure the EMS is fit for purpose to maintain system certification;
- Facilitate continual improvement of the EMS to support integration of management systems;
- Lead and coordinate the environmental requirements of the Sydney Water assurance program;
- Communicate environmental technical concepts and outcomes to key stakeholders and lead development of environmental management capability uplift as required;
- Maintain an expert level of knowledge of environmental management and management systems integration through technical scanning, networks, and professional development; and
- Ensure processes as described in the EMS framework are compliant with the latest version of the ISO 14001 standard.
This role will suit someone who can demonstrate a strong familiarity with NSW environmental legislative requirements, and who has experience in Environmental Approvals, Environmental Management practices and Environmental Management Systems. With a background in Environmental Audit, you will have experience in identifying environmental risks in organisations and be able to proactively determine methodologies required to manage these risks in an operational and strategic environment.
Knowledge of integrated management systems will be well-regarded in this role, including the ability to respond to changing needs and strategies required to deliver improved Environmental outcomes. You will also have experience in developing integrated audit programs/procedures that help improve asset, product, quality, safety, and environmental outcomes for the organisation.
You must have excellent written and verbal communications skills and an ability to work collaboratively within a team of subject matter experts and across a range of internal Sydney Water business units and external environmental regulators and government agencies.
You will have:
- Degree in Environmental Science or Environmental Engineering or experience deemed equivalent;
- Environmental Lead Auditor qualifications;
- 5 years’ experience in developing/managing an Environmental Management, or Integrated Management System at a senior level in a large commercial organisation or government department/agency;
- Experience working in a complex regulatory environment;
- Demonstrated experience analysing and developing policy, strategies, systems of work and processes for environmental management systems;
- Experience providing environmental advice on strategy and issues, including on confidential and politically sensitive issues;
- Demonstrated experience in developing environmental management training and supporting resources;
- Extensive knowledge of the ISO14001 standard, implementation and governance as it applies in a corporate and operational environment;
- Extensive knowledge of state and federal environmental legislation; and
- Understanding of current and emerging environmental and resource management issues.
Please see updated PD for more information.
Closing date: 26 September 2021
You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident at the time of submitting your application to be considered for this role. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Sydney Water welcomes you to apply if you feel you meet the selection criteria. The successful completion of a Criminal History Check and Medical Assessment form part of the application process. Please advise if you require any adjustments to actively participate in the application and recruitment process.
We want your perspective and ideas to help us find better ways to delight our customers, so we encourage you to apply no matter your age, sex or culture. You can be part of a committed, highly skilled team who’ll appreciate what you bring to the table. You’ll set and achieve real goals and make decisions that matter, as together we help shape the lifestyle of greater Sydney.