- Provide legal expertise to Sydney Water’ Major Projects programme
- Advocate for Sydney Water to drive the best results for customers, communities and the environment
- Parramatta location, close to transport, flexible work arrangements available
- Fantastic high performing team
- Reports directly to the Head of Legal, Claims and Secretariat (General Counsel)
At Sydney Water, we’re passionate about making a difference to the lives of our customers and communities.
We have a proud heritage and a progressive future, providing world class drinking water and beautiful waterways from the mountains to the sea. We see the world is changing so we are changing too. Our people and their jobs are as diverse as the communities we serve.
About the role
Sydney Water’s infrastructure delivery requirements are expanding to meet the needs of the Greater Sydney Region. These large-scale, complex programs require exceptional people to help ensure the successful delivery of a significant, high-profile capital works program.
The Legal Counsel will provide timely and high-quality legal advice to Sydney Water in all areas of law affecting Sydney Water’s business and operations, with an emphasis on procurement of major projects, construction law, commercial agreements and disputes related to those areas. Sound legal advice is fundamental to the effective operations of Sydney Water. The legal team at Sydney Water reports to the Head of Legal, Claims and Secretariat which ensure that the legal team is involved in all the key projects and initiatives which Sydney Water is pursuing.
The role requires interaction with Sydney Water’s regulators (IPART, EPA, NSW Health) and with Sydney Water’s stakeholders (DPIE, NSW Treasury, Minister for Water) from time to time, which can influence Sydney Water’s operations.
The position will advocate for Sydney Water to drive the best results for customers, communities and the environment and implements programs and initiatives with the customer and community in mind, and a focus on building trust.
- Assist the General Counsel in providing timely and high quality commercial legal advice to Sydney Water in all areas of law affecting Sydney Water's business and operations;
- Draft, negotiate and advise on all types of commercial agreements (including major contracts) to protect the interests of Sydney Water;
- Advise on Sydney Water's rights and obligations under relevant legislation;
- Advise on early intervention and dispute resolution strategies in potentially complex, sensitive and
- litigious matters to minimise risk to Sydney Water and maximise outcomes of any dispute, action or liability;
- Initiate legal actions as required and oversee defense of the organisation in any legal action initiated against it, in conjunction with external legal advisers;
- Develop and manage strong working relationships within Sydney Water and with external legal providers to facilitate the efficient and effective delivery of legal services to Sydney Water; and
- Ensure critical legal and corporate knowledge is captured, shared and developed across the Legal unit and conveyed appropriately to relevant business Services.
This role is a great opportunity for someone passionate about water, recycled water and the environment to join one of the world’s leading Water utilities. You will have the opportunity to work with an organisation which demonstrates great vision of the water industry, and provide legal expertise to Sydney Water as it enters into a huge growth phase with a solid investment in capital infrastructure projects.
You will have a demonstrated background in negotiating and writing high value contracts, preferably within major projects in the Construction industry space. A born communicator, you have experience engaging with a variety of business stakeholders and regulatory bodies.
You will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in Law, with an unrestricted practising certificate or eligibility for one
- 4-6 years’ post admission experience as a lawyer predominantly in commercial law, with training in a top tier law firm before moving in-house
- Proven research and analytical capacity related to complex matters, sound problem solving skills and the ability to make balanced and logical judgements.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in construction law and related disputes resolution, and also experience in commercial and contract law, procurement and tendering, intellectual property law and competition law
Closing date: Thursday 23rd September 2021
You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident at the time of submitting your application to be considered for this role. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Sydney Water welcomes you to apply if you feel you meet the selection criteria. The successful completion of a Criminal History Check and Medical Assessment form part of the application process. Please advise if you require any adjustments to actively participate in the application and recruitment process.
We want your perspective and ideas to help us find better ways to delight our customers, so we encourage you to apply no matter your age, sex or culture. You can be part of a committed, highly skilled team who’ll appreciate what you bring to the table. You’ll set and achieve real goals and make decisions that matter, as together we help shape the lifestyle of greater Sydney.