Principal Project Manager, Major Projects
- Manage the delivery of predominantly high risk/complexity projects to plan
- Join a dynamic, diverse and high performing team in an exciting time of growth
- Experience in Major Infrastructure project management is essential
- Full-time permanent role located at our Head Office in Parramatta
At Sydney Water, we’re passionate about making a difference to the lives of our customers and communities.
We have a proud heritage and a progressive future, providing world class drinking water and beautiful waterways from the mountains to the sea. We see the world is changing so we are changing too. Our people and their jobs are as diverse as the communities we serve.
About the role
The purpose of the position is to successfully manage the delivery of predominantly high risk/high value ($250m plus individual project value) complexity projects to plan, within the Major Projects Program. The Program includes capital works including growth and compliance driven investments and major renewals.
The position manages a team of specialists delivering high risk/complexity projects and provides strong leadership to build a collaborative culture across multi-disciplinary teams in Sydney Water and our supply chain. The position supports the Project Director in leading the successful delivery of Sydney Water’s most strategically, financially and commercially important investments in services for our customers.
The position ensures that Sydney Water is able to optimise and improve delivery performance, driving value from the program. To this end, the position makes a significant contribution to the development of the Annual Program and champions the culture-change required by NEC4 processes.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to;
- Management accountability for a project delivery team delivering individual projects between $100m-$1bn.
- Manage the successful delivery of high risk/ complexity projects from initiation through to close out and handover in accordance with NEC4 processes and within Major Projects project delivery framework.
- Manage a team of senior project managers, project managers and project management officers working across high, medium and low risk/complexity projects
- In collaboration with the Project Director, manage the development of the Annual Program,
- Ensure high-quality Project Plans across all projects and guide the development of robust business cases to secure funding.
- Ensure project risks are effectively identified, mitigated and managed, including the proactive management of the early warning process, both in receiving notification from the Supply Chain or issuing notification as the situation requires, in order to effectively manage any matters that could impact the delivery of the project in scope, on-time and within budget
- Ensure project schedules are developed, updated, monitored and managed in line with the business case expectations, for all phases of the project, and that project schedule milestones are defined, measured, managed and met.
- Manage the commissioning and close out process for high risk projects.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant or related field or experience deemed equivalent.
- Proven program and project management experience, delivering large and multi-faceted projects, is essential
- Proven leadership/ senior management experience is essential
- Project management certification is essential
- Takes responsibility for critical business decisions in a timely manner, considering all relevant data and information, and taking feedback from relevant parties
Please see the position description for the roles full accountabilities.
Application closing date: 25 September, 2021
You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident at the time of submitting your application to be considered for this role. For more information, you can
Sydney Water welcomes you to apply if you feel you meet the selection criteria. The successful completion of a Criminal History Check and Medical Assessment form part of the application process.
Please advise if you require any adjustments to actively participate in the application and recruitment process.
We want your perspective and ideas to help us find better ways to delight our customers, so we encourage you to apply no matter your age, sex or culture. You can be part of a committed, highly skilled team who’ll appreciate what you bring to the table. You’ll set and achieve real goals and make decisions that matter, as together we help shape the lifestyle of greater Sydney.